The Burn Center is one of the leading burn treatment facilities in the nation and the only such center in North and Central Louisiana. In addition to caring for the residents of our community, we accept patients suffering burn injuries from surrounding states. The Burn Center provides a comprehensive team approach to the care of burn victims. The clinical team, including Burn/Trauma Surgeons, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Skilled Technicians, Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists, Social Workers, Registered Dietitians and Psychologists provide care throughout the duration of stay for each patient. The Burn Unit cares for children and adults as well as high-level trauma care for severely burned patients. The Burn Unit also provides outpatient care for minor burns.
- All burn patients regardless of the extent of the injury are fast-tracked and seen by specialists in the burn center.
- The center has a 15-bed capacity, 7 ICU, and 8 step-down beds, operating and recovery rooms, hydrotherapy unit, outpatient clinic and research laboratory.
- The burn center has a yearly inpatient enrollment of 200 patients. Pediatric admissions range from 30-35% per year.
- The outpatient clinic has over 2500 visits a year from acute burn and healed burn patients
- Approximately 200 operations are performed on acutely burned patients a year, while elective reconstructive surgery is performed on 70-80 patients annually.