Hospital History

 Home / Conway / Hospital History

E. A. Conway Medical Center began as the Monroe Charity Hospital in 1941, serving the 12 Parish area of Northeast Louisiana. During that first year, the hospital treated over 10,000 patients. In 1948 the name of the hospital was changed to honor the late E. A. Conway who had served as secretary of state and was a Monroe native. Additions were made to the original hospital, but by the early 1980s, the hospital was seeing more than 100,000 patients annually. In 1983 construction began on a new hospital which opened to the public in May 1987.

On October 1, 2013, E.A. Conway became University Health Conway and is part of the University Health System including University Health Shreveport.